Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Moon

Here's my amateur shot at the moon tonight, which I was informed wasn't full, but it sure was breathtaking. 

Every time I see a full moon I think of two things, my grandmother who can always tell you either the full moon just left or the full moons coming which is the reason for any craziness in our daily lives. Never fails any problem that arises her solution is the full moon was just here or there is one coming, despite my 27 years of this rattling I never realized until probably last year that there is a full moon every month. Also, might not have discovered that if my sweet all knowing Bryan wouldn't have pointed that out. 

The next thing I think of is the movie Practical Magic and the letter she writes to her sister about the moon. I recite it over and over in my head. Its power and depth captivates me to the core. 

Sally Owens: [Sally's letter to Gillian] Sometimes I feel like there's a hole inside of me, an emptiness that at times seems to burn. I think if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could probably hear the ocean. The moon tonight, there's a circle around it. Sign of trouble not far behind. I have this dream of being whole. Of not going to sleep each night, wanting. But still sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing... I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for. I just want someone to love me. I want to be seen. I don't know. Maybe I had my happiness. I don't want to believe it but, there is no man, Gilly. Only that moon. 

I wonder does anyone else think about the moon like this? Either my grandma's way or in a way to make us feel really human and insignificant in relation to the size and scale of the moon. In a feeling that makes you question your every thought and feeling... I watch this movie yearly, think of it almost monthly. Harvest moon the song by Neil Young is also a timeless tribute to the beauty dancing in the moonlight. 

So while mulling over these thoughts I looked up a little moon mythology: 
The monthly cycle of the moon, in contrast to the annual cycle of the sun's path, has been implicitly linked to women's menstrual cycles by many cultures, as evident in the links between the words for menstruation and for moon in many resultant languages. 

The moon is also worshipped in witchcraft, both in its modern form and in Medieval times, for example, in the cult of Madonna Oriente
This made sort of sense to me because this same grandma also professed to be a witch for the majority of my life. My sister believes her, I don't. Here's to the moon and making us question our thoughts and feelings on a scale literally larger than life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment